Saturday, February 28, 2015

Seatbelts and Pick-Up Trucks

                When driving in Honduras, there are a couple rules that don’t apply here as they do in the States. There are no seatbelt laws for the back seats, only the front two seats need seatbelts. If there is some law that says there needs to be seatbelts, than I can guarantee that there are very few people who follow it. There are very few cars that actually have seatbelts in the back of the car that work; some cars might not have them built in at all. This sounds super dangerous and maybe it is, but I don’t think so. I haven’t seen a difference in accidents with seatbelts versus accidents without them. But I’m not an expert.
I remember when I first came to Honduras, I was surprised that there were no seatbelts but I was also happy. Seatbelts are so uncomfortable and not having to wear them was awesome. I never really thought about the danger and I can’t recall a time when we’ve needed seatbelts in the back for protection or anything. We’ve gotten along fine without seatbelts, no problems. It made longer trips more comfortable because you could sit normally without something jabbing into your neck, waist, or chest. We could sleep easier too.

Another rule that’s different that I enjoyed the most about driving here is riding in the back of a pick-up truck. In the States, apparently, you aren’t allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up, which is weird to me because what’s the point of having it then if you can’t carry more people? But I guess it is a bit more dangerous. It’s also a lot more fun though. My siblings and I always loved riding in the back of the truck. We sat on the edges most of the time or stood up at the front, always holding on though. We’d sit on the inside of the edges if it was on the highway between Zambrano and another village called San Francisco. We never rode in the back in the city, it was dangerous. We had heard of stories of people getting hurt by being in the back of a truck and such, but we were careful and the situations that were described to us didn’t usually apply to our situation. For example, one person told us that his truck was full of people and he hit a bump, someone apparently fell out and got extremely hurt, for us though, our truck was never that full. Either way, even though it was “dangerous” it was a lot of fun.
In the back of the truck, my sisters and I would sing songs, make jokes, wave to people; occasionally we made faces at people who stared at us for too long but mom told us to stop that. It was a lot of fun. The wind in our hair, it felt like we were flying in a way. My best friend had a big white pick-up and it had bars all around the edges, so we could stand on all sides without fear of falling out, even if you didn’t hold on to those edges. That was awesome because we would play games where you couldn’t touch the edges or you couldn’t fall down or you were out. It might be dangerous but it was an amazing experience. I loved riding in the back of the truck.

There are several weird things about Honduran driving but I mainly wanted to stress these two things because people think it’s so dangerous. I don’t think it’s as dangerous as people make it out to be, it’s actually fun and more comfortable sometimes. When driving in Honduras, don’t be scared to not have a seatbelt and don’t be afraid to ride in the back of a pick-up. It’s a lot of fun and you’d be missing out if you stayed in your “comfort zone.”


Goodbye, until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment