Saturday, October 11, 2014

Honduran Food

Honduran food is not Spanish food. It isn't Mexican food. It’s Honduran food. There’s no other way to describe it, it’s just Honduran. It’s deliciously perfect and I love it. The food happens to be one of Honduras’ high points, one of its best features. I can’t remember the first time I tried Honduran food, all I know was that it was in Danlí and it was some kind of meat with ensalada (salad) on the side or rice and banana soda or something like that. I also remember that it was very good.
               
One of my favorite Honduran foods now is Pupusas, corn tortilla mix with a small circle of cheese pressed in the middle, then flattened to look like a tortilla and then it is fried on the open stove. It is pure deliciousness. There are pupusas with meat in it too, but the cheese ones are the best. I also found out that pupusas are originally from El Salvador but nonetheless, they are made in Honduras and they are very good. They are also served with three types of ensaladas or toppings, I’m not positive what is in them, I do know one has cabbage and another has onions. Either way they are good to put on top of the pupusa but pupusas are just as good plain.
                One Honduran classic is Baleadas, flour tortilla with beans, cheese, and sour cream. You can also have eggs, chorizo (sausage), avocado, chile (hot sauce), or fried plantains. I like the simple one the best but adding other ingredients is also quite good. I have not met a Honduran who does not love Baleadas, they’re just that good and easy to make. The best Baleadas are when the flour tortillas are homemade rather than store bought.

                Another Honduran food is mango verde, which is green mango. This is something I love but my dad hates, I can’t see why. It is green mango, a specific type of mango that stays small and turns yellow eventually but it is better when it is green. You have the green mango and you put vinegar, especias (mixed spices including salt, pepper, and many others), and salsa negra (Worchester sauce) on the mango and you eat it like that. Some put lemon, chile (hot sauce), or even chicken bouillon cubes, but I like the other three things only. It does not sound healthy and it probably isn't in any way but it is very easy to make and it is very tasty.

               
I could go on and on describing more Honduran foods, but it’s making me hungry so I must stop! Honduran food is very good and I haven’t met someone who hasn't liked it. Whoever doesn't like Honduran food is crazy. Next time you think Honduran food is Mexican or Spanish, think again, it is distinct and unique. Even though Central American countries share some foods, each country has a twist to the way it is prepared. I love Honduras; one of the reasons why I do is because of the food!

No comments:

Post a Comment